2018/2019 Cultural Arts Programs
Supporting "It's Cool to Be Kind" 2018/2019 School Theme
Thank you - Your donations to the NPS HSA Walk-A-Thon & other fundraising events
make these programs possible!
- 3 Screens School-Wide Assembly - Thursday, October 4, 2018
- “Let’s Be Friends” Through movie clips, videos of real life stories, music, and sports action on three giant screens, children learn how to counter bullying with positive action. Children will learn four words and associated behaviors that make them healers (learning an acronym for HEAL).
- All Student Assembly Monday, February 4, 2019
- All Student Assembly March 6, 2019
- Guy Davis “Route of the Blues" 50 minute assembly
- 4/5 Residency Monday, October 15 – Friday, October 19, 2018
- Guerilla Haiku with Caley Vickerman incorporating kindness theme
- 2/3 Residency - February 2019
- MPAC Reader’s Theatre incorporating kindness theme
- K/1 Residency - Monday, April 29 – Friday, May 3 2019
- Spiritree Puppets & Stories Relating to Kindness
- Pending: History's Alive and School Wide Music/Art Project relating to kindness
2017/2018 Experiences aligned with school theme: Healthy Bodies, Healthy Minds
3Screens: Character Development Full School Assembly (October 5)
Circus Yoga Residency 2/3 Unit (October 9 – October 20)
MPAC Creative Movement 4/5 Unit (January 22 – February 2)
Freespace Dance K/1 Unit (February 26 – March 9)
History‘s Alive: Thomas Edison Assembly Grades 2 – 5 (March 19)
- Arithmetickles Assembly
- Astrograss Concert - Thursday, April 19
Cultural Arts 2017/2018 Highlights
Circus Yoga Residency
The intermediate unit’s 2 week Circus Yoga Residency came to end with an amazing performance! Morris Arts teaching artist, Erin Maile O'Keefe, returned to Normandy Park to lead the Circus Yoga Residency. The students explored the theme of "Healthy Bodies/Healthy Minds" through the study of anatomy, physiology, relational skills, meditation, yoga, and circus arts. As you can imagine by this list, they students were active in their learning, approaching it with curiosity and co-authorship. They learned how the body and the mind contribute to our overall state of well-being. Together each class co-created an act illustrating their discoveries and newfound talents.
A special thanks to the Intermediate Unit teachers and HSA Cultural Arts Committee - Jen Avers, Victoria Finley and Dimitra Drakotou - for organizing and helping with this great event!
MPAC Creative Movement & Dance Residency
Our 4th & 5th grade students completed the MPAC Residency January 22 through February 1. This class introduced basic dance skills that build imagination, strength, flexibility, endurance, balance, and spatial awareness. Students explored dance elements such as shape, imagery, direction, tempo, spatial pathways, and movement quality. Our creative movement residency gave students the opportunity to explore their creative potential and further develop life-skills such as teamwork and self-discipline while promoting a healthy body and healthy mind. Dance through the ages! Each class will focus on a different style or era of dance and dance history.
A special thanks to the Intermediate Unit teachers and HSA Cultural Arts Committee -
led by Jen Avers, Jennifer Schwartz & Mrs. Toye - for planning & organizing this great event!
Free-Space Dance Creative Movement Primary residency:
Thank you to Lauren McQueeney, Mrs. Tulli, all the primary unit teachers and staff, Jen Avers and entire Cultural Arts committee for organizing and facilitating the Primary Unit Freespace Dance Creative Movement Residency. A special thanks to the Morris Educational Foundation (MEF) for funding a portion of this residency.
Astrograss Family Concert:
Sponsored by the Morristown/Morris Township Joint Municipal Alliance and the Home & School Association, Normandy Park School families were invited to an awesome music concert on
Thursday, April 19. The school community came together to listen, laugh, and dance as a school community. Brooklyn-based Astrograss has been entertaining families since 2003 with high-energy bluegrass and Appalachian music. Learn more about Astrograss here: http://www.astrograssforkids.com/bio.htm
- Wednesday, September 26
- Friday, September 28
- Friday, October 5
- Friday, October 19
- Thursday, October 25
- Friday, October 26
- Friday, November 16
- Friday, November 30